Monday, August 27, 2007

Make it a Great Day

So I started my new job two weeks ago today. For the first few days I felt like I was the brunt of some sick joke, where there's lots to do and everyone knows the rules but me. I do NOT like being uninformed, nor do I like wasting time (at work, anyway), so I can hardly stand the combination of the two that leaves me feel ineffectual and ignorant. Each day of the first two weeks, I would wake up and give myself a pep talk that went something like this, "I am going to learn so much today. I will only get better at this. I will never again be as unqualified for this as I am in this moment." Thankfully, I believed myself each day, and the thought that the only place to go is up really inspired me and helped me reconcile myself to the ugly truth that I am not yet an expert at what I am doing. I suppose it's a good thing, because how pathetic would it be if I went and got my master's to prepare me for this job and then I figured out everything there is to know in the first ten days? That would be sad. Thank goodness that is far from the case.

Amidst a few late nights of working and the crazy busyness (for the first week, I spent most of my time just making lists of all of the things I needed to accomplish - forget about actually accomplishing anything) I must admit that there have been some moments of sheer desperation. Moments when I thought, I am not smart enough for this job, I am not qualified, I am NEVER going to knock out this to-do list. I hate feeling like that (as I'm sure everyone does!) and when those storm-cloud thoughts came on, I tried to quickly rein in my thinking and cast it in a more positive light, because I'm one of those corny people who strongly believes that, "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." (I don't know who said that and I'm much too tired to look it up, but I wholeheartedly agree!) I think our perceptions of ourselves significantly shape our possibilities, which is probably the reason optimism is so dear to my heart.

Yesterday I was calling a parent to set up a meeting and her voicemail message ended with, "Make it a great day." I hung up and thought about that for a few seconds before getting back to the frantic pace that is my new job. I'd heard it before, of course, but in light of my recent struggle to remain sane (and positive) it took on a new meaning. We can't just wake up and sail through each day expecting things to fall perfectly in place, throwing tantrums each time we don't get our way. Our moods cannot be shaped only by our circumstances, or you'd rarely see people smile at one another. No, we have to wake up each day and decide to MAKE it a great day. For me, that means taking a deep breath and a different perspective when I hit a snag at my new job. It means I take time to enjoy the sunrise for a moment when I get caught at a long light. It means I can take comfort in the underlying peace and hope that pervades my life even when the monotony of day-to-day life buzzes around my spirit like a fly circling round a picnic table.

I'm glad I didn't get a hold of that mother so I could hear that message. Now all I have to do is spend the rest of my life making each day truly great.

9 comments:

jocelyn said...

What a great post! I'm sorry things haven't slowed down any--hope they do soon! But your attitude is amazing, inspiring, and commendable. Thanks for reminding me to be in charge of my perspective. Can't wait to see you soon!

Brooke said...

Keep at it! I hope you can tackle a few things on your list in the next few days.

Lynn Leaming said...

May you continue to find your strength in the Lord one day at a time. I also think I remember it is God who said "as a man thinks in his heart so is he"

Stephanie said...

What kind of new job do you have? Just think how far you will have come by the end of the year! Have a great year!

Krister said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I'm starting to figure out how to do this job (I'm an educational diagnostician) and I'm really loving it! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Tobin! It's Tracey (Harper). I'm so glad that I stumbled upon your blog. As I think back to our ACU days, I think of you as the epitomy of optimism! I think of your cheerful spirit as we were preparing our Squig homecoming act for breakfast!!

tw said...

Hi, Tracey! It's great to hear from you! Will you be at Homecoming?

Anonymous said...

I really needed to read your blog today! I am actually starting a new job next week, and I should call you and talk to you about it! I am going to be working as a Speech Pathologist with an autistic classroom two days a week. I am a little anxious, because I feel like I don't know what I'm doing...but I know that I will learn! Thanks for your encouraging words! Merry