Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sugar Coma

Lately I've been on a personal quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie, with the help of my dear friend, Allrecipes.com. I cannot even explain the excitement that this website stirs in me (no pun intended!) each time I log on - millions of recipes waiting to be tried and enjoyed, ruined and perfected...a world of possibilities!

There are so many things that can go wrong with a chocolate chip cookie.

When Krister and I were first married I decided to make a batch and somehow I got confused by the butter measurements and used a POUND of butter rather than a cup. When they came out of the oven they were laid flat like roadkill and, when pressed with a fingertip, would actually leave little pools of butter behind, filling the holes like rain fills fossilized dinosaur footprints in the ground. It was tragic. I cried and cried, partly because I felt like an idiot and partly because butter is so darn expensive and I had just wasted a whole box of it for nothing. Sweet Krister didn't want the night to end in defeat, so he whisked me away to the store to get more ingredients and try, try again.

Ever since that butter-laden disaster I have had a personal vendetta against the chocolate chip cookie. I picture the ingredients laughing at me, taunting me, laying in wait to sabotage my efforts. And so I search. I try out recipe after recipe, dedicated to finding that one that will have just the right texture, the right flavor, the one that will be truly worthy of accompanying a big glass of cold milk. Thanks to allrecipes.com, I feel closer than ever to attaining my goal, to claiming the victory over the ever elusive chocolate chip cookie of my dreams. I'm not there yet, but I am making a valiant effort.

My quest continued this afternoon as I tried my hand at a new recipe. Unfortunately I was left unsupervised in the kitchen with a whole bowl of cookie dough. You would think there was heroin in the stuff the way I was downing it. [Disclaimer: I have never even been in the same room with heroin, nor would I recognize it if I were, but I hear it's quite addictive and thus it works well to give you a picture of my inability to exercise self-control in this situation. Don't do drugs, kids.] What is it about cookie dough that is so irresistible? Part of the problem may be the fact that I have no way of measuring how much I've eaten. It's not like cake where I can see a receding line that marks the damage I've done, or like Junior Mints where I can see the delightful morsels disappearing one by one. Cookie dough just sits there innocently, begging you to sneak just one more spoonful, a pinch here, another pinch there.

But like all good things it is not so innocent once you've gone completely overboard. It's not good to feel sick before the first batch of cookies pops out of the oven. It's not good to see your finger swooping toward the bowl to grab another pinch of dough while your thighs are yelling, "Enough already! You're not even giving us a chance!" It's not good to wonder if you'll be able to eat dinner later after all that cookie bingeing. And, it's not good to eat dinner anyway, then follow it up with a couple more cookies and a few scoops of homemade ice cream. That, my friends, is what you call a sugar coma.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a great choc. chip cookie recipe, and so does amberly. They are different, but both very very good.

tw said...

Great! I would love to get those from you guys if you're willing to share! :) Thanks!

jocelyn said...

Mark has found the recipe he thinks is the greatest in the world. He's the cookie maker at our house...

Anonymous said...

Tobin, I had no idea you had a blog. Travis just sent me the link. I am with you on chocolate chip cookies being difficult. Usually I just buy the roll of Pillsbury and enjoy. Once you figure it out, we will gladly taste test for you!

Heather said...

I am with you on the addiction to cookie dough....it is so hard to not just eat all the dough without actually baking the cookies.

Tiffany said...

I am laughing so hard about you using a pound of butter! That is hilarious! Good luck on the best recipe ever! Will you share it once you find it? I'm interested!

SickBabyNurse said...

You probably don't even know who I am, but I feel mercy on you and your search! I also did this and fell in love with the Baker's Chocolate Chip recipe on the back of their bag. I love Bakers or Ghiradelli choc chips in them and if you really want to improve the recipe, use REAL vanilla. Not extract. And not the dark vanilla. Use the white/clear. I found this type of vanilla on a mission trip to the Dominican on an ACU Spring Break trip. I have since found it in Mexican food stores, Mexican fairs and markets. It tastes completely different than the regular vanilla....Enough that people ask what you put in your cookies. Use the same amount of Real Vanilla as you would the extract your first go round with it, but the next time you use it you may want to tweek it a bit and use a little less. In between batches try placing the dough in the fridge. I think it gives the dough a chewier texture.