Monday, May 12, 2008

The Memory Keeper's Diet

I have just created a new diet that, surprisingly enough, was inspired by a delicious piece of chocolate cake I had yesterday. It's called the Memory Keeper's Diet and here's how it works:

Day 1: Identify the 10 target foods that are likely to be your downfall while you try to stay on the straight and narrow at mealtime. Brainstorm the best places to eat those target foods. (e.g. French fries at Snuffer's, ice cream at Marble Slab, etc.)

Days 2-11: On each of these 10 critical days of the diet, you seek out those target foods you identified on Day 1, indulging in one target food each day. The key is that you must be fully present while you eat these foods. No talking. You must throw yourself into whatever you are eating, using all of your senses to take it all in.

Day 12 - ???: Now you are on your path to a new body and a new you! Want a piece of cake? Great! Sit down, close your eyes, and relive that delectable piece you enjoyed on Day 7. Got a hankering for cheese fondue? Go back in your memory to Day 3 when the melted goodness coated each bite of toasted bread. Delicious! (and calorie free!)

I will let you know how this goes. I actually skipped Days 2-11 because last week was Teacher Appreciation week and I was able to arrange my schedule to make sure I was always at the school that was having a luncheon that day. (Hey, you've got to take advantage of these things while you can.) That means I had two pieces of cake and a couple of cookies each day after lunch. (C'mon, how often do you have access to a dessert smorgasbord?) I'm thinking of those as my 10 days of indulgence even though it was more like 5 days of out of control sugar rush. So technically, today was Day 12.

It's been a good day. I got an excruciating headache at about 3:00 that I can only attribute to the sugar withdrawal. I sure do have a lot of respect for people who quit real addictions. I have thought of that piece of chocolate cake 7 times today, but I haven't had any sugar. Part of the Memory Keeper's Diet involves replacement behaviors. Yes, thinking of that cake was really great... but it was even better while I was eating a fresh mango. I wanted a glass of wine with dinner, but instead I had some skim milk. It's all about the memories. And the replacement foods.

Go make some memories!

2 comments:

Kaitlin said...

How interesting...

Do you even need to be on a diet? Actually people say that to me all the time too. I've gained 10 lbs and would like to lose it so I can fit into my old jeans. ha!

Please keep us posted on how this works. :)

I have noticed I do feel better after eating a bowl of fruit than indulging in something bad for me...and I am still full!

jocelyn said...

Mark and I realized we were eating dessert after lunch and dinner...everyday! So we're trying to cut back and eat healthier. I'll tell you two "substitutes" that have helped me out: chocolate soy milk and Kashi cookies--oatmeal raisin and oatmeal dark chocolate. They're not perfect, but they give you a little jolt of sweet without all the sugar and calories of other desserts. (Mark can't be convinced to try the chocolate soy milk...but I think it's pretty good!)