Sunday, May 4, 2008

Toe!

That title is meant to be pronounced in the way that Homer says, "Doh!" It's all about the toe right now, ever since a can of bamboo shoots rolled off the counter today while I was unpacking groceries and landed right on my foot. My big toe, to be more specific. I must say, I did a great job of not screaming with the same amount of enthusiasm with which my toe was hurting. Enthusiasm is probably not the right word - more like absolute anguish.

It's been a long time since I've hurt myself that badly, which is saying a lot because I'm quite clumsy and am often running into things. Just a couple of weeks ago I got the crazy idea that I could jump like a track star. Krister was reading in bed and I said, "Hold still and don't be scared, I'm going to jump over you." I proceeded to run at the bed and attempted to clear Krister's legs - vertically. Like Kobe Bryant jumps over the moving car in that commercial. Sometimes I overestimate my own abilities. I still have the bruise on my knee to prove it.

Anyway, so it's always impressive to me how such a small part of the body can cause such an enormous amount of pain. Even though I iced it and limped about the house like a total wuss, it is so swollen than when I hold both feet up next to one another and bend both big toes with the same amount of effort, the good toe disappears from view as it bends and the other one doesn't really go anywhere. It just sits there, fat and red. Not only red - the bottom of my toenail has taken on a deep purple hue. It's beautiful, like a sunset. The big bummer is I've been waiting all weekend to get out in this beautiful weather and go for a run, and I really WAS about to finally do it when this happened. So instead I had a beer and some cookies because I felt sorry for myself.

Toe long, friends!

5 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

Hope your toe is feeling much better!

Kaitlin said...

beer and a cookie instead of running. how lady like. love it!

tw said...

Thanks, Lynn - it is much better today! (but still purple...)

Gosh, Kaitlin, now I feel like a bad example! Maybe I should keep some things to myself :)

Kelly Litton said...

You and Anna Lee have matching toes right now! She has been walking on the side of her foot because of it.

Hope you guys are having a good week!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you hurt your toe. My mom dropped a box of books on her toes one time and it did the same thing (turned purple). The doctor told her to drill a small hole through the purple part of the nail to allow the blood to come out and relieve the pressure or she would probably loose her nail. (She used a knife and just wiggled it in a circular motion spinning it around until the blood was able to come out. It should relieve the pressure immediately. She did it once a day for almost a week.) She did end up loosing her toenail anyway, but it grew back. Hope you have an easier process.

And not to scare you, but can you bend it at all? Not being able to bend it might mean it's broken. But you would probably be able to tell, I think the big toe has something to do with balance anyway, so you'd probably know if you broke it. OK, hope it starts feeling better and I hope I didn't scare you. Just passing on info.