Sunday, July 8, 2007

Think by Numbers

The following is a brief list of associations I have between numbers and random things in life:

3 - the number of bathroom stalls you have to check at the movie theater before you find one that's acceptably clean (or almost acceptable, at least). An exception is the dollar theater bathroom where, well, you're just lucky to make it out alive...

10 - the number of consistent runs it takes before I don't feel like I'm jogging with a sack of potatoes tied to my butt. Not that I've experienced this potato-free feeling any time in the recent past, but I know it's out there waiting for me whenever I can finally get my act together. I'll let you know how that goes, as I'm hoping to be potato-free within the month...

52 - the number of minutes it takes me to drive to school to get my master's degree. These gas prices are killing us, but I must admit it makes for some great singing time. Usually K can't handle me belting it out in the car for extended periods of time, so I get it out of my system on these long drives. I might actually miss them when I'm finished with the whole thing, but there's always my commute to work...

7 - the number of times in the last week I've thought how liberating it would be to cut my hair off super short again. I just can't get used to this fixing my hair routine, but there's a little voice inside my head reminding me that it's taken me two long years of growing it out to get to this point. And then there are all of the insulting nicknames K has for me as I'm in those weird in-between stages of growing it out: Hall and Oates (this is a reference I still don't understand, but I feel confident that it's not flattering), English school-boy, the Beatles, and my all-time favorite: Christopher Robin. Notice that they're all references to men. hmmm... maybe I should rethink this...

5 - the number of years its been since I graduated from college. This is hard to believe... and not hard to believe. On the one hand, I can't believe that time is going by and I'm actually aging.. You would think I would be used to this fact of life by now since it's been happening for the past 27 years, but honestly I still feel like a kid in many respects (anyone who knows me can probably attest to this). On the other hand, it feels like FOREVER since I darkened the doors of ACU. This fall is my 5-year reunion. Which is why I need to get on that sack of potatoes thing...

7 comments:

Brooke said...

Tobin, I am very excited about this blog! Are you kidding me about needing to run before the reunion??? You are just as beautiful today as you were in college, with your long hair and all! I also had short hair in college and I hate doing my hair now. I already have the hairstyle picked out for when I go back to short. I'll chop it off after the baby is born. If I didn't have a timeline on my hair, I would never have the guts to cut it short again.

Abbe said...

I'm so glad you have a blog, you are already interesting in just 1 post-I'm jealous.

Dara said...

You were meant to be a blogger!!! Now you have a place to put all of your most random thoughts. I can't wait to read them.

jillreigh said...

Tobin, I can already tell I'm going to love your blog. Let me know what it feels like when you lose the sack of potatoes - I certainly wouldn't know :)

Stephanie said...

I just started running again yesterday after a very long break. I'm hoping I'll start feeling better by the 10th run. Right now it's not so much fun! Great blog!

Sarah said...

2- the number of seconds it will take before you scream for mercy when I sit on you if I ever hear you talk about a sack of potatoes again! If your shoe size is bigger than your pant size, you are not allowed to talk about losing weight. In your particular case, if your shoe size is smaller than your pant size, your pants are too big! Now -- go have a donut!
By the way - you're a great blogger!
Love you!

Angie said...

I laughed out loud twice while reading this post. LOVED IT!
Well...I'm adding you to my frequented blog list, and I'm so pumped you have one too!!!
Blog onward!!! (I'm a dork tonight)