Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What I Learned in Class Yesterday

So I spend most of my days sitting in class now, whittling the hours away. The first day of my July short course was Monday and I was almost bored to tears (or sleep, rather). I wanted to get something from the vending machine during the break, but all I had was a fifty dollar bill and a five dollar bill that I got from selling two books back - yippee! I don't know that I've ever had a fifty dollar bill in my purse before...

Anyway, in hopes of waking myself up I went into the stairwell and walked down and back up 5 flights of stairs. Apart from being the only exercise I've gotten this month it didn't do much good. I was still on the verge of a boredom-induced coma the entire 3 and a half hours of the class.

On Tuesday I came prepared. Well, not really, but I just kind of lucked out. On my lunch break in between classes I ran into the vending machine restocking guy in the break room. He was nice and we had some good times while I ate my turkey sandwich and he made sure there were plenty of animal crackers in the machines. Then I had a wonderful thought - this guy can break my five!!! Sure enough, he had a handy-dandy little pouch of ones. So we traded and I had five wonderful little dollar bills that promised to save me from my afternoon stupor.

I excitedly purchased some Skittles and headed up to the 5th floor for another fun-filled afternoon of Special Ed. Law. While others were frantically taking notes and attending to the power points, I was strategizing about the best way to make use of this treat. Now I don't normally eat Skittles, but I had selected them because I thought they had the best staying power. If I ate them slowly and one at a time, I could make them last through at least half of the class and then I could stay awake from the sugar rush for the second half.

I carefully tore open the package at the seams so that there was a little wrapper plate for my Skittles to sit on while giving me easy access and a full view of all of the colors. Since it's been awhile since I had Skittles, I sampled the flavors that probably tied for last place: lemon, lime, and orange. Grape and cherry are always top dog when it comes to likeability in Skittles, so I knew they'd be eaten last. After the taste test I decided that lemon Skittles are the worst, so I began. One yellow Skittle after the other until all the little sunny pieces were gone from the rainbow. Next, on to the green ones. When I got to the orange ones I was surprised at how much I loved them. How could I have thought they could tie for last? In the future, they may even be contenders with the red and purple ones. I gained a whole new respect for the orange Skittles that day. Finally, I finished up by alternating the grape and cherry flavors until I was down to one last grape and one last cherry. Grape won and was eaten as the last Skittle of the pack.

What I learned in class yesterday:
1. Eating Skittles is a great deal more interesting than power point presentations.
2. No one really gives the orange Skittles enough credit. They really are bursting with flavor.
3. Eating a whole package of Skittles makes my tongue sore.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you had fun in class! Yare so right about Skittles making your mouth sore.

jillreigh said...

I remember that I ate Skittles all the time in Jr. High and High School, and I've probably had one bag since then. I always preferred the tropical flavors, because you get to ditch the lemon/lime flavors. If you want to give your jaw a workout, you should get a pack of Now & Laters - they could last you a whole semester!

Brooke said...

I can not imagine sitting through special ed law!! AGGHH! I recently sat through some boring sessions too. I got up at 5:30 each morning to get to these sessions and would be extremely tired and bored the entire day. I wanted nothing more than caffiene - which I can't have. I resorted to eating jolly ranchers very slowly, letting each one just melt in my mouth. Isn't it funny how food becomes to important when one is extremely bored?

Anonymous said...

LOL!! I can SEE your face and hand gestures as you tell this story! So great!
I have always thought two things about Skittles:
1. The yellow skittles taste like what I imagine Pledge Lemon Dust cleaner must taste like. I don't like to be reminded of chores when I'm enjoying candy.
2. Why don't they sell a whole bag of just one color...similar to the way you can buy Jelly Bellies???

Can we get a video of you singing about the dropped banana?? ;-)

-Karen Heflin

Amberly said...

I am so glad I can read your blog, because it sounds JUST LIKE YOU!!! Like Karen said, I can totally see you telling this story! You are hysterical!!

Love & miss you!

tw said...

Hello, everyone! I just wanted to leave a quick comment to thank you all for the fun comments! I don't have time at this point to comment on everyone's comments (K does this on his blog, and it sure is friendly, but it's also time consuming!) but I just wanted to say hello and let you know how glad it makes me to read your comments! Keep 'em coming! :)

Anonymous said...

Upon being bored in my class RIGHT NOW, I stumbled upon your blog...
thanks for saving me from a few minutes of misery.